Wise Hands © 2023 All rights reserved.
A Feral Pineland Renewal
- CLIENT 26-acre Sandhill, Cypress Swamp, Oak Hammock
- YEAR 2019-2020
- WE DID Plant ID, Invasive removal, Management Recommendations
- PARTNERS Wilcox Nursery & Landscape
- Description This 26-acre former Girl Scout camp has a diversity of habitats characteristic of Florida. The owner contacted us to help discern the native versus invasive plants, catalog plants, and serve as a management consultant. Over the last six months, we have categorized over 77 species of plants including trees, wildflowers, vines, grasses and shrubs; herbicided the most pernicious invasive plants like Boston fern and Caesar weed; hand-pulled/dug Brazilian pepper and carrotwood; and offered our perspective on stages of implementation for management by season. The owner has also called out larger crews to "rip, shit, and bust" larger invasives like strawberry guava and Brazilian pepper thickets. We look forward to continuing to work with this land owner to meet his goals for habitat improvement for wildlife by adding native plantings for food source and biodiversity and scouting invasives to keep them at a minimum.
- CATEGORY Habitat Restoration
- TAGS cypress swamp , pineland , sandhill